Times Past


These postcard photos, probably from 1949 or 1950, show the restaurant (left) and “tourist cabins” that operated on what is now County Road 806 west of the Ozark County Sheriff’s Office and directly across from the Ozark County Ambulance base. The business is described in the July 22, 1948, item in this week’s Times Past, below. According to “A History of Ozark County, 1841-1991,” J. B. “Jenks” and Lavelle Taylor sold the business in the early 1960s to Harry Davis, who changed the name to Squirrel’s Nest. The cabins have been demolished, but the former restaurant is now a private home.
Ozark County Times July 30, 1909 Dora – Miss Alice Harrison has begun her school at the Dobbs.  Pine Valley, Dist. No. 3, is yet without a teacher. Some good teacher can secure a good school for possibly eight months.   Aug. 4, 1916 The house and barn on the James Mishler farm on Sand Ridge, now...

This photo of the Thornfield store gathered several interesting comments when Ozark County Western Commissioner Greg Donley posted it recently on his Facebook page. The photo, taken in the late 1940s by grocery sales rep Orval Jernigan, shows the store that once stood on Thornfield’s “Main Street” when it was owned by the late Elmer Delp, grandfather of current Ozark County resident Eddie Delp. Elmer operated the store from the 1930s until his death in 1956, when his sons Sonny, Dorman and J.D. Delp took over the store’s operation. In 1960, they sold the Thornfield store and opened a grocery and feed store on North Main Street in Gainesville (in the building that currently houses Shenanigans arcade). The Thornfield store was purchased by Chet Watson, who moved the building to Highway 95, where it still stands today. It was later operated by Hervile Gaulding until he opened the business across the road that’s now the Heriford Store. The building also housed a restaurant and, more recently, a tire shop.
TIMES PAST MAGAZINE IS HERE! pick up your free copy. Times Past Magazine, filled with eye-catching historical photos of Ozark County along with intriguing and heartwarming tidbits of history gleaned from more than 130 years of Ozark County Times archives, is now available free wherever the...

Sometime after “Fred Wright and family” moved to Hammond to become “one of the merchants there,” as reported in the July 15, 1943, item below, this photo was taken of the Wrights’ store, which had moved into the Hammond bank building. The photo was taken by Orval Jernigan, a Milligan Grocery Co. representative who traveled to rural stores in Douglas, Ozark and Taney counties. During the winter of 1946-47, Jernigan took pictures of the stores he called on, typed descriptions onto the bottom of each photo print and mounted them in a photo album that now belongs to Christy Voliva in Ava. She has shared the photos, which were scanned into digital form by Kenneth Brown, with the Ozark County Historium.
Ozark County NewsJuly 13, 1899A terrible tragedy took place near Bakersfield recently. Mr. Leech, who lives near Bakersfield, had two sons aged about 10 and 12. The oldest boy got the shotgun to kill a hawk nearby. In order to get near enough to shoot the hawk, he cocked the gun and turned the...

This photo, shared by Ozark County Historium genealogist Rhonda Herndon, was donated to the Historium several years ago by Larry Loftis. Taken sometime around 1910, it shows the “Sawmill by Ramsey Spring, below the Arthur Loftis place, toward Smith Chapel Church,” according to notes with the photo, which also identify Will Loftis, center, holding the shovel; Henry “Shoat” Womack at right, holding the team of horses; and “Amyx children up front.”
The DemocratJuly 13, 1904J. W. Terry of Lilly Ridge, one of our most prosperous farmers, is extensively engaged in the sheep business. He now has about 400 head of a good breed.Albert Harley found two bee trees last week. The comb in one of the trees reached about 8 feet up and down the tree. Ozark...

During the winter of 1946-47, the late Orval Jernigan, an Ava-based sales representative for Milligan Grocery Co., Jernigan took pictures of stores, mills and some scenery throughout the Ozark, Douglas and Taney county area. Jernigan labeled this photo “Modern Hill Home, Skyline Drive in Forest.” An album of Jernigan’s photos, now owned by Christy Voliva of Ava, was digitized several years ago by Kenneth Brown, who shared the photos with the Ozark County Historium, with Voliva’s permission.
Ozark County TimesJuly 5, 1918S. F. Amyx received notice a few days ago that his brother, Curtis, had landed safely in France. Relatives of Lewis Gardner, Charley Blacksher and Robert Exline, Ozark County boys of Co. F 32nd Engineers, have also received notice of their safe arrival in France. ...

During the winter of 1946-47, the late Orval Jernigan, an Ava-based sales representative for Milligan Grocery Co., Jernigan took pictures of stores, mills and some scenery throughout the Ozark, Douglas and Taney county area. Jernigan labeled this photo “Modern Hill Home, Skyline Drive in Forest.” An album of Jernigan’s photos, now owned by Christy Voliva of Ava, was digitized several years ago by Kenneth Brown, who shared the photos with the Ozark County Historium, with Voliva’s permission.
Ozark County TimesJuly 5, 1918S. F. Amyx received notice a few days ago that his brother, Curtis, had landed safely in France. Relatives of Lewis Gardner, Charley Blacksher and Robert Exline, Ozark County boys of Co. F 32nd Engineers, have also received notice of their safe arrival in France. ...

This postcard photo of Gainesville, from the collection of Mary Ann Boone Heard, was taken sometime after 1912. The Ozark County Courthouse is the white, two-story building on the lower left edge. (It burned in November 1934.) The Harlin House is visible in the middle of the right edge. Several other homes in the photo still stand as well, including the two on top of the hill and the two-story peaked-roof home just west of the square.
Ozark County NewsJune 26, 1890 Ad – Look out for the Clark Bros. Consolidated Menagerie & Circus.They will positively exhibit at Gainesville Monday, June 30. Come out and witness the grand free show, a grand high-wire ascension and the very old, war-scared elephant. She will perform feats of...

This photo of the 1958-59 Gainesville Elementary School Bullpups basketball team was taken from that year’s Bulldogger yearbook published by the high school publications class. From left: coach Benton Breeding, Gary Frazier, Ron Luna Bobby Robbins, Randy Rose, Stacy Landers and Don Luna.
Ozark County TimesJune 21, 1918Ad – You can buy a good Buggy or Hack at Wood & Reed Merc. Co. We have just had an old contract filled and at a much lower price than present market.P. H. Martin and wife, of a few miles south, were in town Saturday. They returned home in the evening in a fine new...

This photo, shared from the Dora School library’s Facebook page, shows Dora’s first store. According to a history of Dora by the late Bess Cropper published in “A History of Ozark County: 1841-1991,” it was opened by Anton Fisher sometime after he bought the land in 1878. He “acquired the post office,” Cropper wrote, and “named it Dora after his daughter. The store was later sold to U. L. Winkler and then to D. L. Harlin, who sold it in 1908 to his brothers, Joe and Frank. Edwin and Mattie Deupree bought the store in 1912. Their son Ray Deupree eventually took over its operation and ran it until his death in 1967, when the store closed.
Ozark County TimesJune 19, 1903Hawk Walker has had to give up the championship belt to Tesley Luna on account of the following story. Tesley says that a cyclone passed over a small town in North Missouri and that a grocery man had a sack of flour hanging out in front of his store for a sample and...

This ad for the Hillhouse service station, taken from the 1971 Gainesville High School Bulldogger yearbook, shows then-station owner Loren Hillhouse checking the oil on a customer’s vehicle beside a sign advertising the price for a gallon of gasoline: 24.9 cents.
Ozark County TimesJune 10, 1910 Gainesville Camp No. 5180 M.W.A. joined the Camp at Lutie Sunday and decorated the grave of neighbor Joseph Peacock. ... They met at the lodge room and marched to the cemetery near Lutie and were followed by a large number of citizens from Lutie and vicinity where...

Pages

Ozark County Times

504 Third Steet
PO Box 188
Gainesville, MO 65655

Phone: (417) 679-4641
Fax: (417) 679-3423

Comment Here