Times Past


Considering all the Hootin an Hollarin activities that occurred on the Gainesville square his past week, we thought this 1958 picture postcard showing the east side of the square would be an interesting contrast. The postcard is from the collection of the Ozark County Historium, which welcomes contributions of old photos of Ozark County families and places. Bring the photos to the Historium during business hours, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. weekdays or contact Janet Taber at janettaber@gmail.com, 265-3372, for more information.
Ozark County Times Sept. 27, 1918 Twelve soldiers and three trainmen were killed and 37 soldiers and two engine men were injured at 7:30 o’clock on Tuesday night of last week when a freight train and troop train crashed together in a head-on collision one mile east of Marshfield. The wreck occurred...

Zanoni store is shown in a Times file photo from 2014. The store closed after Morrison’s death in 1969, and his daughter, the late Classie Shanks, who was Zanoni postmaster, moved the post office to a small building up on the ridge west of the original town of Zanoni. The original store and post office are now part of Zanoni Mill Ranch owned by Scott and Becky Mathews.
Ozark County Times Sept. 20, 1918 London – Sept. 13 – Official admission was made by the German war office in Berlin today that the Germans have fled the St. Mihiel salient, where the Americans began their great offensive yesterday.  This emphasized the magnitude of the American victory southeast...

In this undated photo from a Hootin an Hollarin in the past, Amyx Auto salesman Larry Amyx, left, and Moses House, long-time driver’s license examiner in Gainesville, stand by an early-model Ford displayed in front of the Amyx agency, the site of the current Gainesville City Hall. The man on the far left is unknown. The dealership sign advertising the Falcon indicates the photo was taken during the 1960s, when that model was made.
Ozark County Times Sept. 16, 1910  Howards Ridge – Everett Pleasant, a member of the Lick Creek ball team, was hurt several days ago in a game between the Lick Creek and Theodosia teams. He was hit on the jaw with the ball and is suffering much with the injury.    Lilly – A number of our prosperous...
Ozark County Times Sept. 9, 1904 The Bakersfield and Noble Ball Teams were to have met here last Saturday for a match game of ball, but for some reason the Bakersfield boys failed to make their appearance.  Several of the Pine Creek club came to witness the contest and rather than disappoint the...

These postcard photos, probably from 1949 or 1950, show the restaurant (left) and “tourist cabins” that operated on what is now County Road 806 west of the Ozark County Sheriff’s Office and directly across from the Ozark County Ambulance base. The business is described in the July 22, 1948, item in this week’s Times Past, below. According to “A History of Ozark County, 1841-1991,” J. B. “Jenks” and Lavelle Taylor sold the business in the early 1960s to Harry Davis, who changed the name to Squirrel’s Nest. The cabins have been demolished, but the former restaurant is now a private home.
Ozark County Times July 30, 1909 Dora – Miss Alice Harrison has begun her school at the Dobbs.  Pine Valley, Dist. No. 3, is yet without a teacher. Some good teacher can secure a good school for possibly eight months.   Aug. 4, 1916 The house and barn on the James Mishler farm on Sand Ridge, now...

This photo of the Thornfield store gathered several interesting comments when Ozark County Western Commissioner Greg Donley posted it recently on his Facebook page. The photo, taken in the late 1940s by grocery sales rep Orval Jernigan, shows the store that once stood on Thornfield’s “Main Street” when it was owned by the late Elmer Delp, grandfather of current Ozark County resident Eddie Delp. Elmer operated the store from the 1930s until his death in 1956, when his sons Sonny, Dorman and J.D. Delp took over the store’s operation. In 1960, they sold the Thornfield store and opened a grocery and feed store on North Main Street in Gainesville (in the building that currently houses Shenanigans arcade). The Thornfield store was purchased by Chet Watson, who moved the building to Highway 95, where it still stands today. It was later operated by Hervile Gaulding until he opened the business across the road that’s now the Heriford Store. The building also housed a restaurant and, more recently, a tire shop.
TIMES PAST MAGAZINE IS HERE! pick up your free copy. Times Past Magazine, filled with eye-catching historical photos of Ozark County along with intriguing and heartwarming tidbits of history gleaned from more than 130 years of Ozark County Times archives, is now available free wherever the...

Sometime after “Fred Wright and family” moved to Hammond to become “one of the merchants there,” as reported in the July 15, 1943, item below, this photo was taken of the Wrights’ store, which had moved into the Hammond bank building. The photo was taken by Orval Jernigan, a Milligan Grocery Co. representative who traveled to rural stores in Douglas, Ozark and Taney counties. During the winter of 1946-47, Jernigan took pictures of the stores he called on, typed descriptions onto the bottom of each photo print and mounted them in a photo album that now belongs to Christy Voliva in Ava. She has shared the photos, which were scanned into digital form by Kenneth Brown, with the Ozark County Historium.
Ozark County NewsJuly 13, 1899A terrible tragedy took place near Bakersfield recently. Mr. Leech, who lives near Bakersfield, had two sons aged about 10 and 12. The oldest boy got the shotgun to kill a hawk nearby. In order to get near enough to shoot the hawk, he cocked the gun and turned the...

This photo, shared by Ozark County Historium genealogist Rhonda Herndon, was donated to the Historium several years ago by Larry Loftis. Taken sometime around 1910, it shows the “Sawmill by Ramsey Spring, below the Arthur Loftis place, toward Smith Chapel Church,” according to notes with the photo, which also identify Will Loftis, center, holding the shovel; Henry “Shoat” Womack at right, holding the team of horses; and “Amyx children up front.”
The DemocratJuly 13, 1904J. W. Terry of Lilly Ridge, one of our most prosperous farmers, is extensively engaged in the sheep business. He now has about 400 head of a good breed.Albert Harley found two bee trees last week. The comb in one of the trees reached about 8 feet up and down the tree. Ozark...

During the winter of 1946-47, the late Orval Jernigan, an Ava-based sales representative for Milligan Grocery Co., Jernigan took pictures of stores, mills and some scenery throughout the Ozark, Douglas and Taney county area. Jernigan labeled this photo “Modern Hill Home, Skyline Drive in Forest.” An album of Jernigan’s photos, now owned by Christy Voliva of Ava, was digitized several years ago by Kenneth Brown, who shared the photos with the Ozark County Historium, with Voliva’s permission.
Ozark County TimesJuly 5, 1918S. F. Amyx received notice a few days ago that his brother, Curtis, had landed safely in France. Relatives of Lewis Gardner, Charley Blacksher and Robert Exline, Ozark County boys of Co. F 32nd Engineers, have also received notice of their safe arrival in France. ...

During the winter of 1946-47, the late Orval Jernigan, an Ava-based sales representative for Milligan Grocery Co., Jernigan took pictures of stores, mills and some scenery throughout the Ozark, Douglas and Taney county area. Jernigan labeled this photo “Modern Hill Home, Skyline Drive in Forest.” An album of Jernigan’s photos, now owned by Christy Voliva of Ava, was digitized several years ago by Kenneth Brown, who shared the photos with the Ozark County Historium, with Voliva’s permission.
Ozark County TimesJuly 5, 1918S. F. Amyx received notice a few days ago that his brother, Curtis, had landed safely in France. Relatives of Lewis Gardner, Charley Blacksher and Robert Exline, Ozark County boys of Co. F 32nd Engineers, have also received notice of their safe arrival in France. ...

Pages

Ozark County Times

504 Third Steet
PO Box 188
Gainesville, MO 65655

Phone: (417) 679-4641
Fax: (417) 679-3423

Comment Here