Filing period for April 7 election closes Jan. 21
The filing period closes Tuesday, Jan. 21, for candidates wishing to run in the April 7 general municipal election for openings on school, city and public boards in Ozark County. Several individuals have filed as candidates for the various boards, but at press time Tuesday no one had filed for some of the positions coming open.
Candidates may file at the appropriate organization’s office. However, prospective candidates are reminded that many schools and offices will be closed Jan. 20 for the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday or because the school district is on a four-day weekly schedule. Also, schools and offices may close in case of inclement weather. Candidates are advised to call the school or municipal office where they plan to file to verify the schedules.
Those who are not yet registered to vote have until Wednesday, March 11, to register in time to vote in the April 7 municipal election. For more information, contact the Ozark County Clerk’s office at 679-3516.
• Bakersfield: Three three-year positions and one two-year position are coming open. The three-year terms of Matthew Evans, Mike Scott and Tim Watlington are expiring. All three incumbents have filed for re-election. A two-year position is also open to fill the seat currently held by Johnathan Belt, who can no longer serve due to a change in employment. Board members whose positions are not expiring are Bruce Bales, Johnathan Lashley and Chris Bales. Those who wish to file should visit the superintendent’s office. Call 417-284-7333 for more information.
• Dora: Three three-year positions are coming open, those held by Ed Lee, Cass Martin and Lindsay Collins. Collins has filed for re-election, and Jerry Moritz has also filed. Board members whose positions are not expiring are Robert Lee, Tim Masters, Lynda Smith and Terry Martin. Visit the school’s main office to file; call 417-261-2346 for more information.
• Gainesville: Three three-year positions are coming open, those held by Jerry Kiger, Corey Hillhouse and Marti Warden. Hillhouse and Warden have filed for re-election, and Douglas Hawkins has also filed as a candidate. Board members whose terms are not expiring are Jabet Wade, Mason Eslinger, Heather Bushner and Robbie Walrath. School office hours are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. The school will be closed Jan. 17 and 20. Call 417-679-4200 for more information.
• Lutie: Three three-year positions are coming open, those held by Chuck Myers, Julie Vaught and Bill Conklin. Matthew Shockey, Robert Edwards and Luther Hampton have filed for the open positions. Board members whose positions are not expiring are Ric Engelhardt, Jennifer Garrison, Carl Kruger and Suzanne Meeks. Call 417-273-4274 for more information.
• Thornfield: Three three-year positions are coming open, those held by Terry Ewing, Donnie Cunningham and Travis Tucker. So far, Tucker is the only candidate who has filed. Other board members whose positions are not expiring are Darrin Clayton, Greg Prock, Daniel Collins and Shane Funk. Call 417-265-3368 for more information.
• City of Bakersfield: Three two-year terms on the city council are expiring, positions currently held by Tony Johnson (mayor), Jodi Burns and Stephanie Guffey. At press time, no candidates had filed. Other council members whose terms are not expiring are Erin Bonham (mayor protem) and Dianna Stover. Call 417-284-7238 for more information.
• City of Gainesville: The position of mayor, currently held by Gail Reich, and three two-year city council terms are coming open, those held by West Ward alderman Rocky Sullivan, Center Ward alderman Lee Bowen and East Ward alderman Lana Bushong. Reich and Bushong have filed for re-election. Council members whose positions are not expiring are West Ward alderman Shane Ledbetter, Center Ward alderman Treva Warrick and East Ward alderman Dana Crisp. Candidates may file at Gainesville City Hall on the northwest corner of the square during business hours (from 8 a.m. to noon and from 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. weekdays). The office will be closed Jan. 20. Call 417-679-4858 for more information.
• Theodosia Village: Three two-year positions are coming open on the Theodosia Board of Trustees, the seats currently held by Randal Unruh, Jerry Smith and Mike Allen. Smith has filed for re-election. Board members whose positions are not expiring are Bret Cook and Paul Dettinger. Candidates may file in the Village Hall on Highway 160; it’s open from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. Call 417-273-4830 for more information.
• Public Water Supply District #1: Two three-year positions are expiring, those held by Mike Cronce and Dale Cutbirth. At press time Tuesday, no candidates had filed. Other board members are Ric Engelhardt (board president), Connie Johns and Suzanne Meeks. Candidates may file at the district office, 85 Westwood in Theodosia; call 417-273-4825 for more information.
• Ozark County Ambulance Board: Two three-year positions are expiring, those held by Douglas Hawkins, representing district 5, and Linda Dunsmuir, representing district 2. Both have filed for re-election. Board members whose positions are not expiring are Jerri Crawford, representing district 1; Craig Fox, district 3; Greg Zubrod, district 4; and Elaine Burnett, district 6. Candidates may file with the Ozark County Clerk at the courthouse in Gainesville. Call the 679-3516 for more information.
• Ozark County Health Department Board: Three four-year positions are expiring, those held by Joyce Morgan, Lyndell Strong, and John Steffenson. At press time Tuesday, no candidates had filed, but a board spokesperson said all three incumbents are expected to file. Other board members are Sue Orf and Bill Cockrum. Candidates may file with the Ozark County Health Department, 370 Third St. in Gainesville; call 679-3334 for more information.