Hooked on Ed tourney brings most boats ever
White River Valley Electric Cooperative’s annual Hooked on Education Fishing Tournament Saturday, May 5, out of Theodosia Marina brought out 178 boats, the largest number to date. The annual event raises funds for WRVEC’s scholarship program for youth in the WRVEC’s five-county service area. The WRVEC scholarship trust has awarded more than $1.6 million in aid for higher education to successful scholarship applicants, who are evaluated each year on the basis of financial need, overall academic performance, extra-curricular involvement and college acceptance.
Participating boats launched at 7 a.m. Saturday from the marina on Bull Shoals Lake. Teams had eight hours for their chance at the title and up to five fish to bring in the highest poundage, biggest bass, any other fish and smallest stringer.
These top 18 teams were awarded prizes at the weigh-in:
1. Buck Comstock and Greg Blair won $2,400 with an 18.21-pound catch.
2. Tommy Skinner and Mike Cox won $1,850 with a 15.75-pound catch.
3. Ricky Jones and Landon Snelson won $1,300 with a 15.07-pound catch.
4. Heston Fish and Adam Johnson won $850 with a 14.40-pound catch.
5. Jason Davidson and Darren Tilley won $750 with a 14.18-pound catch.
6. Tim Dail and Danny Barr won $650 with a 14.07-pound catch.
7. Mark Sanders and Ronnie Curry won $575 with a 13.97-pound catch and brought in another $340 with the third-largest bass weighing in at 4.85 pounds.
8. Brian Sherrill and Albert Scott won $550 with a 13.87-pound catch
9. Chris Bettis and Chris Wilkerson won $450 with a 13.72-pound catch and brought in another $770 with the largest bass weighing in at 5.13 pounds.
10. Calvin Phillips and Jim Phillips won $375 with a 13.65-pound catch.
11. Derek Blair and Tony Todd won $350 with a 13.03- pound catch.
12. Steve Redford and Dan Warner won $300 with a 12.65-pound catch.
13. Robbie Duggan and Bobby Landry won $280 with a 12.62-pound catch.
14. Scott Adams and Nick Ellison won $265 with a 12.53-pound catch.
15. Dave Rogers and Laryme Campbell won $250 with a 12.28-pound catch.
16. Jeff Hogan and Ryan Hogan won $220 with an 11.83-pound catch.
17. Bruce Klatt and Bill Klatt won $220 with an 11.79-pound catch.
18. Phillip McFarland and David Well won $185 with an 11.43-pound catch.
Additional winners included:
• Daniel Busch and Ted Carter, who won $600 with the second largest bass, weighing in at 5.09 pounds.
• Edward Guzik and Justin Schaefer, who won $100 for the smallest stringer weighing in at 1.19 pounds.
• Ashton McDaniel and Pat Boden, who won $50 for the largest “any fish” weighing in at 5.61 pounds.